Can a photon be accelerated
Can you slow down photons?
As massless particles, photons always move with the maximum possible speed, the speed of light in a vacuum. They can neither be braked nor accelerated. However, light usually propagates more slowly in matter than in a vacuum, so the speed of light is lower in matter than in a vacuum. Recently, researchers even succeeded in completely stopping a light wave in a medium and allowing it to continue running a short time later.
Even if these experiments are very exciting, it is not justified to say that the photons are slowed down. A light wave in a medium does not only consist of photons. Rather, an excitation wave moves through a medium, in which, in addition to the normal electric field strength, the polarization of the atoms also plays a role. By coupling the electric field to the atoms, the light wave moves more slowly in the medium than in a vacuum and this new wave can be quantized into slower photons similar to a free light wave. However, these light quanta are not identical to the photons in a vacuum. Therefore one cannot speak of a deceleration of the photons.
In the past the claim was made at this point that the photons would move between the atoms at the speed of light and would be stopped by the constant absorption and emission. This explanation is often found in popular scientific papers, but it does not correspond to the facts. There is practically no absorption in transparent media.
Further questions on the topic
Are photons indivisible?
Shouldn't photons have mass according to E = mc²?
© 1999-2020 Joachim Schulz - Only real on www.Quantenwelt.de
Last change: 02/25/2007
- Do you speak Kazakh
- Is Australia in the US
- How many years ago is 500 BC?
- A fool knows he's a fool
- What is taboola
- What do psychologists think of personality tests
- What Indian authors should read by everyone
- Why do people fall in love 3
- What does disclaimer mean 1
- How does water affect the weathering of stones?
- How does affiliate marketing data sales work
- What is useful money or knowledge
- How many groschen are in 7
- What is Ecommerce Email Marketing
- Which countries have the best street food
- What is TCP IP
- Why don't people like the theater?
- Where can I see John Wick 3
- How many kinds of fruits are there
- Is society objective or subjective
- Why are you in relationship with someone
- What do western people think of Malaysia?
- Can I learn Biblical Hebrew quickly?
- Why are bus drivers often rude