How do you manage dramatic team members
Modern leadership: How top managers will lead your people in 2021
Just a few months ago, managers sat in executive training courses on topics such as modern leadership, Agility and Change management across from.
The Change in the world of work - this winged expression that somehow touched everyone, but was only prioritized as a real urgency by very few companies.
And then Corona came.
- Definition: what is modern leadership?
- Bullet Points: This is how modern leadership succeeds
The 6 methods of modern leadership
- Be a coach instead of a boss
- Score as a people manager
- Use technology properly
- Show your own weaknesses
- Strengthen the matrix and lead it visibly
- Share information transparently, because 'sharing is key'
Covid-19 hit the business world on many fronts.
The virus not only revealed old-fashioned bureaucratic structures.
Above all, it showed who can find their way around the new circumstances and how quickly.
Team leadership suddenly happened almost exclusively virtually. Managers had to adjust to a new norm and almost every internal process is somehow different today than it was before the pandemic.
What was considered modern just a few months ago is outdated.
Much of what was previously considered innovative in terms of leadership is outdated.
The world of work has changed dramatically and with it the sought-after qualities of managers who lead companies and teams. The work is no longer the same.
We're seeing dramatic changes in behavior and technology - not just in our job.
The fact that you have led successfully in the past does not mean that your management style is suitable for the new world of work.
You can also read about this: Modern leadership style - the 7 most effective models and how to use them.
As a manager, you should get up now six properties focus to your team modern and future-oriented respectively.
Definition: what is modern leadership?
Modern leadership is that abilityto combine future-oriented features and qualities. These include People management, emotional intelligence, value-based appearance, vision & mission, commitment, motivation and consensus building.
The lack of any of these important traits or qualities can seriously affect a leader's effectiveness.
The result: team performance drops.
- #1: Being a coach instead of a boss, in which you collaborate, communicate and hand over responsibility with your team. Put down any micromanagement.
- #2: People management show, in which you lead in an empathic, motivating and understanding manner. Promote the strengths of each team member in an appreciative way.
- #3: Use technology properly, in which you are always up to date with the most efficient tools and aids for your daily work. You can assess which of them are promoting team productivity.
- #4: Show your own weaknessesin which you lead humanly. You do not share your own half-knowledge, but ask for and use the broad knowledge of your team.
- #5: Strengthen the matrix and lead it visiblybecause hierarchy is getting flatter. They promote effective cooperation and avoid classic command and control.
- #6: Share information transparently, in which you pass on all the necessary information to your employees. The entire team has access to the same information at all times.
1. Be a coach instead of a boss
The times when management work consisted of approving a budget as the boss and "good luck“Wishing for the employee's project are over.
As a modern manager, you no longer support here and there - you are proactive.
Collaboration, communication, constructive criticism...
If you want to start your modern leadership with a donkey bridge, practice these three skills to get started.
The authoritarian boss no longer inspires any of your employees. Even more: Real top performers categorically reject such leadership behavior. At the end of the dissatisfaction, by the way, often the whole job, they quit and move on.
These high performers expect you to be empowered and share responsibility.
You can master this property in which you delegate easily and treat your team members like adults. Give up responsibility, let go Other Decide things that you as a manager do not have to decide yourself.
It's that simple: where you tell your employees Freedom and opportunities for further development give, these develop further. That means going ahead in this day and age.
Get rid of any micromanagement. Preferably in the last drawer.
And seal it. Forever.
2. Score with everyone as a people manager
In the modern world of work, people management decides between good and bad leadership.
It separates the chaff the commanding boss, from the wheat, the supporting coach as a superior.
People managers own the Ability to lead employees based on basic values such as empathy, strengthening strengths, motivation and understanding.
You pass responsibility on to your employees, empower them to think for themselves, to get involved and to grow personally and professionally.
In the relationship with the company, for example, they support the key personnel figures for talent acquisition and employee retention.
The main three characteristics of this skill are
- build up trust
- Show empathy
- Lead with appreciation
3. Use technology properly
The important thing here: It's not about technical expertise.
So it is not important for you as a manager to suddenly advance to an IT professional.
However, there is an urgent need to understand the technology, tools, apps, and critical programs that your company employs in your line of business. You should also understand how these affect the way you and your team work.
What that means for you is that you have a good overview of the developments have and understand which social and collaborative technologies are finding their way into the company and what their advantages are.
Between the many newfangled little helpers such as Zoom, Skype, Asana, Trello or Microsoft Teams, you can now keep an overview and, ideally, decide together with your team, what tools for one better communication between people and for them Team productivity make sense.
Managers who have a good understanding of this and who are technologically up-to-date always have a competitive advantage and thus always develop themselves automatically.
4. Show your own weaknesses
Openness and transparency mean that you, as a manager, show or admit weaknesses (and sometimes ignorance).
You are not an officer in the military. You are a highly qualified professional with the privilege of leading a team. You lead people, so behave yourself human.
Vulnerability is the basis for innovation and creativity. There can be no innovation without vulnerability. To be vulnerable does not mean to be weak, but to be brave - a key quality that every manager must have in the future.
As a manager, you can't know everything.
Half-knowledge is dangerous. So don't even try to cover up anything.
Admit ignorance and benefit from the enormous shared knowledge that is in your team.
5. Strengthen the matrix and lead it visibly
The career ladder as we know it has had its day.
Organizational charts are becoming flatter and responsibilities are spread across many shoulders. Sometimes reports are sent to temporary project managers instead of superiors.
Modern leadership revolves around that Eliminate unnecessary bureaucracy and obstacles in order to promote smooth and fast official channels. The long official way is retiring.
This concept goes beyond empowering and encouraging your team members to perform.
The classic sketch in which the manager calls “Jump!” And the employee replies “How high?” Is just a classic.
In the modern world of work, you jump with your employee. You promote the matrix, you lead by participating in the path.
The shorter you keep official channels, the more efficient your team is. This flexibility makes your organizational unit agile. This agility brings maximum employee productivity.
And agile teams do so many tasks these days, so effectively.
6. Share information transparently, because 'sharing is key'
First the tradition again: Traditionally, managers sat at the top of the organization and had access to all information that was necessary for decisions. They distributed the orders, employees had to carry them out without asking questions.
How is it going now and in the future?
The hoarding of information is obsolete.
Anyone who, as a manager, is “convicted” by employees of withholding information, has bad cards.
In these technological, especially highly transparent, times, everything immediately makes the (digital) round.
Via social media such as Xing or LinkedIn, review portals such as Kununu or Glassdoor and internal company communication such as Jammer or Microsoft Teams, dissatisfied employees denounce grievances more relentlessly than ever before.
So, as a manager, make sure that Your employees are provided with all the information they need and can complete all tasks together.
Each of your team members should have the same information - they should be able to access it anytime, anywhere and on any device.
Agile, modern management demands this transparency from you. If you close yourself to it, the punishment (dissatisfaction in the team, employee engagement decreases, criticism of leadership behavior) takes place immediately.
As a leader, you can count on that Employees make their own decisions within this transparencyrather than isolating them from the process.
More about modern leadership:
This article is about:
- Leadership coaching
- People management
- Modern leadership
- Management levels
- Managerial behavior
- Leadership in the company
- Employee engagement
- Personnel development
- Where did you start with affiliate marketing
- Are the economic effects of AI oversubscribed?
- Will a fan produce air in space
- Non-rhyming poems are annoying by their existence
- Are we in a bear market
- What is meant by bistable obesity
- Who are the most paid doctors
- Halal is Carls Jr in Singapore
- Will Quora make me CEO
- Can the police search for ancestral DNA?
- Why should the government pay for education?
- How much does google analytics cost
- Regret moving to San Francisco
- How many digits are there in 1000
- Are satellites visible from space stations
- Can i travel to mars
- Why does Singapore get tsunamis
- What does the sea symbolize in literature
- How can women get into the Indian defense
- Incest is legal in Japan
- What makes light travel
- How to lose weight after pregnancy
- What happened to Dan Ingall's small talk interpreters
- How did you get enlightenment