Is a 19 1 BMI healthy
10 reasons why the calculator is pointless
There are therefore many reasons - at least 10 - why it is best to ignore the BMI and also the BMI calculator:
- The BMI or the formula for the BMI calculator was developed by Adolphe Quetelet in the early 19th century. He wasn't a doctor, nor was he a fitness trainer. He was a mathematician and explicitly stated that the BMI was not suitable for making statements about a person's body fat percentage, but was only there to be able to estimate the prevalence of obesity in the population.
- The BMI is scientific nonsense. There is no compelling reason to square a person's height in order to estimate their weight. Quetelet simply came up with the formula because he couldn't find any other way of presenting the existing data well.
- The BMI ignores the waist circumference - and this is a pretty good indicator of how overweight a person is.
- The BMI ignores the development of a person's muscles, so that bodybuilders, but also simply trained people with strong muscle tone, always have a higher BMI than people with lower weight but a higher percentage of body fat.
- The BMI ignores the different body types and assumes an untrained average person.
- The BMI is not suitable for ectomorphic people and classifies them all too quickly as underweight.
- Using the age-dependent table, the BMI ensures that some people who are actually overweight believe they are of normal weight.
- The BMI allows older people to have a higher weight than younger people - and it is well known that older people have a higher body fat percentage than younger people, so measuring the body fat percentage would be more important than determining the BMI, especially for older people.
- The BMI does not help to ensure healthier people, as even doctors usually orientate themselves to the BMI, i.e. do not use any methods to determine the specific body fat percentage.
- The BMI dates from the early 19th century, lacks any scientific basis - and is still used. So we believe in a 200 year old mathematical construct that can tell us whether we are overweight or not.
BMI calculator: just a rough guide
You can of course use the BMI calculator for a rough estimate of your weight. However, the BMI calculator will not be able to tell you whether you are carrying too much body fat and therefore a health risk despite your ideal BMI.
Distance training to become a holistic nutritionist
Are you interested in what's in our food and want to know how nutrients and vital substances affect the body? Do you want a healthy life for yourself, your family and fellow human beings? Nutritionists are popular - but the holistic aspect that is needed for sustainable health is often forgotten when giving advice. At the Academy of Naturopathy, you will get to know the connections between lifestyle and diet as well as physical and psychological well-being.
That educates interested people like you in around 16 months to become a holistic nutritionist out.
Is this article worth reading?
Share this article
- Gallagher, Dympna, et al. "How useful is body mass index for comparison of body fatness across age, sex, and ethnic groups ?." American journal of epidemiology 143.3 (1996): 228-239. (How useful is BMI in establishing a relationship between body fat and age, gender and ethnicity?)
- Janssen, Ian, Peter T. Katzmarzyk, and Robert Ross. "Waist circumference and not body mass index explains obesity-related health risk." The American journal of clinical nutrition 79.3 (2004): 379-384. (The waist circumference and not the BMI shows the health risk due to obesity)
Notice on health issues
This information is passed to the best of my knowledge and belief. They are intended exclusively for those interested and for further training and are in no way to be understood as diagnostic or therapeutic instructions. We do not assume any liability for damages of any kind that arise directly or indirectly from the use of the information. If you suspect illness, please consult your doctor or alternative practitioner
Subscribe to Newsletter
Exciting information about health and nutrition
1x per month
Login Successful. You will shortly receive a confirmation at the specified email address.
With your registration you allow the regular sending of the newsletter and accept the data protection regulations.
HEALTH CENTER © 2021 Neosmart Consulting AG. All rights reserved.
- Do birthdays really mean something
- What are the benefits of Drionic batteries
- What is the best most metaphorical poem
- How does smoking tobacco affect bone repair
- What is the future of health data
- Makes updating macOS MacBooks slower
- How do I apply for an NRSC internship
- What is the past tense of beat
- What attracts the Chinese most
- Is it normal for hiccups to hurt?
- Who are the most talentless YouTubers
- What are the best shorts to wear
- Jesus forgives atheists
- Are pellet guns really not lethal
- When is treason a patriotic act?
- Where can I register a Canon camera
- What can you call CPS for
- Support the second amendment
- Support Christians gun rights
- What are some interesting questions 1
- What is a closed currency
- How difficult is TISSNET
- Is food cheap in Amritsar
- What are submarine restrictions