How many people die in a year
Mortality, causes of death
For weeks 7 to 18 (February 15 - May 9, 2021) around 1820 fewer deaths than expected have been registered so far. This corresponds to the natural course of an epidemic. Among the approximately 8,380 people aged 65 and over who died more than expected in the second wave of Covid-19, some were believed to be in such poor health that their lives were only shortened by a few weeks. Furthermore, individual late reports of deaths are to be expected. An overall balance of the deaths as a result of Covid-19 will only be able to be drawn after the epidemic in Switzerland has ended.
In the first wave of the SARS-CoV-2 epidemic, excess mortality was observed from March 16, 2020 (week 12) to April 19, 2020 (week 16). During these weeks, 1,500 more people than expected (26%) died in the age group of 65 years and older and 100 people (12%) more than expected in the age group under 65 years of age. The week with the highest excess mortality in the first wave was week 14: Between March 30 and April 5, 2020, 46% more people died than expected between the ages of 65 and older.
In the second wave of the SARS-CoV-2 epidemic, another period of excess mortality was observed from October 19, 2020 (week 43) to January 31, 2021 (week 4). During these weeks, around 8,380 more people than expected (47%) died in the age group 65 and over and around 240 people (10%) more than expected in the age group under 65. In weeks 46 to 51 (November 9 - December 20) in the age group 65 and older, between 165% and 170% of the expected deaths were counted.
The excess mortality trend was not the same in all regions of Switzerland, see here. Please also note the methodological notes below. Since the number of deaths in 2020 was extraordinarily high, the calculation of excess mortality in 2021 is still based on the expected number of deaths calculated for 2020.
- Eating grapes can cause a heart attack
- How funny was Goedel
- What Indonesian Dishes Made From Dog Meat
- How could Quora improve its homepage
- What are the types of games of chance
- How do Poles celebrate Christmas?
- Are there any games on the TI 84
- An American thinks his culture is weird
- More money means more power
- What potion would you take
- What is the best religion for mankind
- What is the law of attraction 28
- What are the rules for success
- What are the best cold email strategies
- What would cause dark yellow urine
- Are can and could be the same
- Why isn't Macau as chaotic as Hong Kong?
- Do squats actually make you run faster
- How do colleges see online high schools
- Is there an open source marketplace platform
- What Indian authors should read by everyone
- Can you describe a scaly person
- Does it snow in Pakistan
- Politics can be studied scientifically