What is the eligibility for Canada PR

Articles from the "Current" section | VisumAntrag.de | 01/02/2018 | ± 4 minutes reading time

Many Germans, Austrians and Swiss who have lived in Canada in the past have problems applying for the Canada eTA. This sometimes prevents you from entering Canada at short notice.

The consequences of an earlier wave of emigration

After the Second World War, many Europeans, for example 5% of the Dutch, emigrated to more prosperous countries. These were mainly Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Many of these emigrants received the status of in Canada Permanent resident, i.e. an unlimited residence permit. A not inconsiderable number of these emigrants later moved back to their original home countries. However, many of these remigrants have their status as Permanent resident never officially ended in Canada. Because the Permanent residentStatus (PR status) does not have an expiry date, this now causes problems, in any case delays if these people want to travel to Canada again.

Problems applying for an eTA

Since 2016, Germans, Austrians and Swiss who fly to Canada for a vacation or business trip or to visit friends or relatives have to apply for an eTA. Canadian residents and Canadian nationals meet the requirements for entry with an eTA Canada. Not. You can travel with your Canadian passport or permanent resident card and you don't need an eTA or a visa for Canada. However, people who have previously lived in Canada are often still registered as residents or nationals of Canada, often without being aware of it. These registrations never expire on their own and can only be terminated with a formal request. Citizens also become citizens or nationals called. Residents often become Permanent resident, landed immigrant or immigrant reçu called. The following applies to all of these designations: Anyone who is registered with such a legal status in the Canadian population register cannot apply for an eTA.

If you have lived in Canada before, you likely still have permanent resident status

Opportunities to travel to Canada anyway

If you're still on the Canadian Population Register as a citizen, national, Permanent resident, landed immigrant or immigrant reçu are registered, you have the following options to travel to Canada. Each option has advantages and disadvantages.

1st possibility | With a Canadian (emergency) passport

If you are still a Canadian citizen (citizen or national), you can apply for a new passport at the Canadian Embassy or Consulate. If you have to travel at very short notice, apply for an emergency passport, which will be issued more quickly.

2nd possibility | With a PR card

If you are still on the Canadian Population Register as a resident (Permanent resident, landed immigrant, immigrant reçu) and are currently in Canada, your main concern is likely to be that you will be able to re-enter after leaving Canada. In this case you can get a new one Permanent resident card (PR-Card) apply.

3rd possibility | With a PRTD

If you are still on the Canadian Population Register as a resident (Permanent resident, landed immigrant, immigrant reçu) are registered and are not currently in Canada, but have been in Canada for at least two years in the past five years, you can register Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) apply.

4th possibility | With an eTA or a visa

You can also register from the Canadian Population Register if you wish. You then give up your legal status as a resident or citizen. Note, however, that doing so could potentially lose you acquired rights in Canada. For example, if you are receiving or are expecting to receive a pension or other benefit from Canada, please first check that you will not lose this right if you give up your legal position. After you have given up your status, you can apply for an eTA or a visa like other Germans, Austrians and Swiss.

5th possibility | With an exemption

For some time now, you have been able to apply for a special permit that still allows you to travel to Canada. You can apply for this exception to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). Please note, however, that although you can apply for this exemption at any time, it is rarely granted.

6th possibility | With an ESTA via the USA

As a last resort, you can travel via the United States. You need to apply for an ESTA to fly to the USA. After entering the USA, you can either enter Canada by land without an eTA or visa, for example by car, bus, train or by boat across the border rivers or lakes. All you need is your German, Austrian or Swiss passport.