How can I be healthy after 50
Weight Gain In Old Age: What Are The Reasons?
After the age of 40, many people gain weight. The weight gain is often half a kilogram to a full kilogram per year. Doctors cite various changes in the body as causes, for example in muscle weight, in the hormone balance and changed lifestyle habits in the so-called middle of life. Many find it difficult to get rid of the pounds. Regular exercise and a balanced diet are important.
Causes of weight gain in old age
There are several causes of age-related weight gain:
- power consumption: From the age of 30, muscle mass decreases by 0.2 to 1 percent per year. At the same time, the percentage of fat in the body increases. Because fat cells consume fewer calories than muscle cells, the so-called basal metabolic rate decreases. For example, this is up to 30 percent lower for a 75-year-old man than for a 25-year-old.
- metabolism: From the age of 40, the metabolism decreases by around 15 percent. One reason are the hormones: in women the estrogen level drops, in men the testosterone level. This reduces muscle mass and reduces energy consumption.
- Move: With increasing age, many people exercise less. This can also reduce muscle mass. A breakdown of the muscles leads to a lower consumption of calories.
Anyone who eats a little more than he or she consumes every day increases: If the additional intake is only 19 calories per day on average, the excess calories add up to a weight gain of one kilogram after a year.
Consequences of age-related weight gain
If age-related changes lead to obesity, this has an impact on blood sugar, blood pressure and blood lipid levels. These diseases can be the result:
Determine excess weight with BMI and waist circumference
Whether you are overweight can be determined with the body mass index (BMI) and the waist circumference:
- The BMI is calculated by dividing your own body weight by the square of your height in meters. Example: If a woman is 1.69 meters tall and weighs 85 kilograms, then she has a BMI of "85: (1.69 x 1.69) = 29.8". From a BMI of 25 and above, it is considered to be slightly obese (pre-obesity), from a BMI of 30 to obesity (obesity).
- According to the World Health Organization, women should be one or more Waist circumference lose 88 centimeters, men from 102 centimeters. The reason: fat tissue in the abdominal area produces disease-causing hormones. They promote high blood pressure and underlying inflammation. In addition, fatty acids are more easily released from the belly fat, which pass into the bloodstream and can damage the heart.
Reduce obesity with exercise and a balanced diet
To reduce obesity, exercise and a balanced, low-fat diet are important. The menu includes more healthy protein, fewer unhealthy carbohydrates and fewer sweets.
Experts on the subject
Dr. Songül Gräfendorf, specialist in general medicine, nutritional medicine, sports medicine
(04101) 224 23
Dr. med. Matthias Riedl, specialist in internal medicine, diabetologist
At the straw house 2
(040) 80 79 79 0
This topic in the program:
Visit | 03/10/2020 | 8:15 pm
- How much does MySurvey pay you
- How could Quora blogs be improved 1
- What are pelagic and benthic
- What threats are there to freedom of expression?
- Open coffin burials are common
- How do young earth creationists explain linguistics
- How does Google Analytics track videos
- How many Malaysians can speak English
- Is gold a stone
- What is existential nihilism
- What are jobs that use differential geometry
- Which insurance companies cover solar panels
- What does an established coronary artery disease mean?
- Most people forget that they are alive
- What are some short catchy sentences
- When does Malaysia celebrate its Independence Day?
- How much food can a person eat
- What are different types of mental disorders
- Has the Saudi Arabian economy collapsed?
- What is the key to spiritual enlightenment
- What is Indian Vegetarian Diet for Men
- Reduces or increases milk inflammation
- Which is Terminal 1 in Kolkata
- How to delete a blocked follower
- What's better than Black Friday
- What do you think of gay sikhs
- What are the cons of green onions
- Chocolate is dangerous for dogs
- Why do things cool down
- Why did Quora start running ads
- Can the Wim Hof Method cure cancer
- Are you looking forward to EA FIFA 20
- Which is better for gaming PCs or consoles
- What is the best home remedy for goiter