Can people sleep upside down
How do bats sleep upside down?
Bats do something that no other animal does: they sleep upside down! For us humans this is unthinkable - we would get blood rushing to our heads after a short time, and hanging upside down is not comfortable either! Why do bats do this?
And why don't they fall down?
The bat is pretty well adjusted to hanging upside down. There is a special device in their legs: a special tendon runs from the claw to the knee. And this tendon is surrounded by a sheath that is studded with tiny barbs.
If the bat bends its claws (it does so as soon as it clings to the ceiling somewhere), the tendon snaps into place on the barbs. For the bat, hanging works without any effort. It happens automatically.
Your blood circulation is also adjusted accordingly and pumps the blood back from your head to your heart without any problems. So the bat can relax and hang upside down, clean and sleep.
Some species even hibernate in this position and hang from the ceiling for months. And some bats are even still hanging from the ceiling after they're dead.
Why bats choose this airy place to sleep is not exactly known. But there are some clear advantages: since bats are the only ones up there, there is no scramble with other animals for the roost, and they are safe from predators. You also have a great overview. And should there be any danger, the bats can simply run away without using a lot of energy!
- Why does Singapore get tsunamis
- Why don't schools teach nutrition and diet
- Well worth playing
- What are some stimulating non-fiction books
- Do real investing apps like Wealthfront work?
- Build women a safer job
- Is sex really that important?
- How do you deal with our diabetes epidemic
- Has your parachute ever failed to open?
- How does Paytm
- What are 10 philosophers
- How does life test wisdom
- What brands have affiliate programs
- How is the Rockrider ST 100 bike
- How can you define intelligence
- What happened to the destroyer USS Lawson
- Where can I find books read online
- Should I take AP Biology next year
- How can I be a great electrician
- Why don't Hawaiians look like Americans
- Does the maintenance of lead still make sense?
- How can Cheerios help a diabetic
- Curious people live longer
- All MLMs are considered a scam
- How do buildings float in Venice?
- Still Make Money on eBay
- What is a WARNO in the military
- Why do you prefer Quora over Instagram
- How is set theory related to probability?
- How to stop sandbag balls
- Which BTS member is gay?
- Has discord a discord
- Blink or sleep fish