What makes a great team leader?
Together in the fast lane: 10 tips for successful teamwork!
One for all, all for one. The three musketeers already recognized that teamwork is an important key to success. That hasn't changed today either. Working in a team is more important than ever. Not least thanks to the breakthrough in various management approaches, such as agile project management.
In theory, successful teamwork is not difficult. Everyone gets on well with each other, can use their talents profitably and achieve great results together with others. There is usually no successful teamwork in practice. Many teams fail and hinder the flow of work instead of working together effectively. It is therefore important that you plan your teamwork properly in advance. In the following, you will learn ten tips for long-term successful teamwork.
Why is teamwork necessary?
A team is characterized by the close cooperation of fundamentally strangers who are in regular contact with each other and work on projects together. Both companies and private individuals benefit from successful teamwork. The advantages are many:
- Knowledge sharing: Different expertise and experiences enable a diverse exchange of information. This generates new knowledge and solves tasks from different perspectives.
- common strength: Tasks that are too difficult for an individual can easily be handled by a well-functioning team.
- High motivation: A subconscious comparison with other team members is normal. The resulting pressure to perform increases the efficiency of everyone involved.
- Independent work: Good work in a team and clear communication lead to greater personal responsibility.
- Wellbeing: Employees in successful teams are more balanced and have a pronounced loyalty to the company.
- More fun: Those who work in a good team have more fun at work in the long term and are more productive.
How does a successful team develop?
In order to be successful in teamwork, the team must first of all be formed. For this purpose, Bruce Tuckman has developed a phase model that describes the various development stages of a team.
Forming (orientation phase)
This is where the team members get to know each other. In this phase the team turns to the first tasks and defines general rules and goals. The team leader always deserves the greatest attention.
Tips for you as a team leader:
- Ensure security and orientation for your team members
- Give clear instructions and assign tasks equally
- Constantly monitor the progress of each individual's work
Storming (confrontation phase)
First discrepancies arise. These conflicts are important to consolidate roles and positions in the group. Later difficulties can be prevented and communication among each other can be strengthened in the long term.
Tip for you as a team leader:
- Keep your team motivated especially during this time
- Allow confrontation, but prevent attacks on a personal level.
- Use different communication techniques! Problems are solved in this way and later communication is encouraged
Norming (regulation phase)
Thanks to precisely defined rules and standards, generally applicable structures are developed. In addition, the various team members have found their roles and are cooperating together. The team is now increasingly focusing on relevant tasks and working in a goal-oriented manner.
Tip for you as a team leader:
- Assign important tasks to your employees
- Stay in constant contact with your team thanks to regular meetings. However, this should by no means serve as a mere control
- Make successes visible and motivate your team even more
Performing (service phase)
The distribution of roles and a general work structure have leveled off. The team is now working effectively together and shows great motivation. An atmosphere of recognition, acceptance and appreciation is predominant among each other. The team members are open to each other, cooperate and support one another.
Tip for you as a team leader:
- Be open to innovation
- Back off and trust your team
- Hear everyone's voice and let each team member contribute
- Constant communication with you and the team is also important here
The best tips for successful teamwork
Tuckman's model is an ideal type. Phases can be carried out more often or even lead to a break in the team. It is therefore crucial to find effective approaches with which you can lead your team and implement successful teamwork. The following tips will help you to increase your productivity and to strive for successful teamwork.
1. Successful teamwork requires open communication
Open communication is the be-all and end-all of successful teamwork! All team members should be kept informed of the current situation at all times. This not only drives your own work forward, but also makes collaboration smoother. You promote communication with regular meetings. The exchange of views should not be judgmental and informal.
2. Treat each other with respect
Respectful interaction is essential for a harmonious work environment. Respect is measured by characteristics such as punctuality, a sense of responsibility, conscientiousness or order. Disruptions to the work flow of other team members should be avoided. Respectful interaction also means that every employee is taken seriously.
3. Successful teamwork is facilitated by common goals
Successful teamwork is guaranteed when all team members work together towards clear goals. This not only strengthens the unity of the team, but also makes the organization more efficient. Only when it is clear what is to be achieved can further measures be aligned and differences of opinion resolved more efficiently.
4. Divide responsibilities. Loners harm successful teamwork
For successful teamwork, everyone in the team should be ready to do things outside of their own area of responsibility. This is the only way to achieve overarching goals and promote team spirit. Shared responsibility also means that problems are overcome together. Successful teamwork means that nobody is left in the lurch and problems are always solved together.
5. Always include the expertise and skills of your team
A team works most efficiently when everyone does exactly what he or she does best. Distribute tasks in such a way that the personal benefits of your employees are highlighted. Also make sure that the distribution of tasks is clear to everyone and that no work is carried out twice!
6. Successful teamwork relies on diversity in the team and role assignment
Diversity is very important for successful teamwork. Not only in terms of demographic characteristics, but also in terms of personalities and skills. Differences encourage creativity and innovation in the team. They stimulate new food for thought and make problem solving even more effective. Roles must be clearly assigned, whereby personal characteristics and expertise should have an influence.
7. Thinking together promotes effective decision-making
Many different influences change the mindset and enable a new perspective. An answer is sought for every question. Unusable ideas, on the other hand, are severely sorted out because they are not conducive to successful teamwork.
8. Each member is the focus of successful teamwork
Attractive working conditions are very important for the well-being of every employee. If the framework conditions are not right, dissatisfaction will arise in the long term. As a manager, you must therefore always look behind the facade and take people with their problems seriously. Humane treatment and appealing working conditions promote loyalty to the team and company and increase productivity.
9. Team building supports successful teamwork
Successful teamwork is the result of hard work. A team can only be successful if it constantly develops on a personal and professional level. Joint activities, too Team building events called promote team cohesion. Communication and loyalty among team members are promoted on various levels, even outside of everyday working life. The fun of such activities is also a great catalyst for motivation and trust.
10. Additional tools make your teamwork easier
The use of a correct one Team collaboration software, how Zenkit, enables even more effective collaboration. All work can be organized here and shared with the team. Everyone can access it at any time and knows what the other team members are doing. Information is also made easily and accessible to everyone, which creates the best possible transparency. Everyone is aware of their responsibility and knows about all project processes. The effectiveness of the team can be promoted and constantly increased in the long term.
Successful teamwork is not that difficult!
One for all and all for one. This is not just a saying, but an important core element of successful teamwork. Working in a team means cohesion and permanent mutual interaction and responsibility. Thinking outside the box is crucial. Nobody needs loners! Goals can only be achieved effectively together. Open communication is probably the decisive characteristic of successful teamwork. Silence and sitting out don't do much good. Face conflicts and problems together! In this way you increase the success of your work in the long term.
As a team, it's all about moving forward together and achieving goals. Value one another and celebrate successes together. The latter is almost an additional tip: Celebrating successes is another type of feedback and is very suitable as a team building measure. The social relationships of your team are promoted and the general motivation increased.
Let the corks pop too! Deal with your team. Question current events and implement new strategies. This is how you too can achieve successful teamwork!
Are you satisfied with your teamwork? How do you organize your teamwork? Were the tips helpful?
We are happy to hear from them
See you soon!
Dominik and the Zenkit team
- What skills are required for MLM marketing
- Cricket is a girly man sport
- What was your most embarrassing intimate encounter
- What makes people cruel
- How do I fix 100 disk usage?
- Soft cookies are stale cookies
- Do you know Parasite SEO
- What are some unusual Hilbert rooms
- How submarines dive
- Is Pavel Fekula really Putin?
- Can you practice multiple sports in college?
- Wouldn't it be super dangerous to terraform Mars
- To what extent does Schopenhauer influence Nietzsche
- What is not to be liked
- Why do ecommerce businesses need funding
- Can humans eat dry dog food?
- In which dimension does information exist
- Why isn't Australia selling Tasmania
- Have you ever ridden in a boat
- What are the best food blogging ideas
- Everyone should be forced to learn math
- What was Man's first word
- Why do the rich need the poor
- What helps with life counseling