Which country had the most wars?
A total of 29 wars and armed conflicts took place in these countries in 2020 (according to the research group on the causes of war):
|3.||Nigeria (Boko Haram)||since 2009|
|4.||Cameroon (Ambazonia)||since 2018|
|5.||Central African Republic||since 2006|
|6.||Democratic Republic of Congo||since 2005|
|7.||Burundi||since 2018 (armed conflict)|
|8.||Ethiopia (Tigary)||since 2020|
|9.||South Sudan||since 2010 (armed conflict)|
|15.||Turkey (Kurds)||since 2004|
|18a.||Yemen (Al-Qaeda)||since 2010|
|18b.||Yemen (Houthi)||since 2014|
|19.||Armenia / Azerbaijan||since 2020|
|Pakistan (Taliban)||since 2007 (armed conflict)|
|22a.||India (Kashmir)||since 1990|
|22b.||India (Naxalites)||since 1997|
|23a.||Myanmar (Eastern Myanmar)||since 1948|
|23b.||Myanmar (West Myanmar)||since 2016|
|24.||Thailand (southern Thailand)||since 2004 (armed conflict)|
|25a.||Philippines (Mindanao)||since 1970|
|25b.||Philippines (NPA)||since 1970|
In brackets: region or party to the conflict
Here you can find the map to print out.
Once a year, the research group on the causes of war publishes an overview of the wars and armed conflicts that have taken place in the previous year. According to this research institution, 25 wars and 4 so-called armed conflicts took place worldwide in 2020.
That is quite a large number and if you look at the world map, numerous countries are colored.
Violent conflicts that are constant and organized are called war. One of the warring parties must be a government's regular armed forces. If these characteristics are not met, one speaks of an armed conflict rather than a war.
Not all wars affect an entire country; many are confined to a specific region of the country. In some countries there are several war regions, such as India and, since 2017, also in the Congo.
Some wars have been going on for a very long time, such as the war in Somalia. Other wars have broken out repeatedly even though they had already ended, for example the conflict in Burundi.
Two wars in Africa are now also affecting neighboring countries: the war in Nigeria, for example, also affects neighboring Cameroon.
Two new wars were identified in 2020. First of all, there is the conflict in Ethiopia in the Tigray region, which escalated into war. As well as the war in Armenia and Azerbaijan in the Nagorno-Karabakh region.
The good news is that in 2020 the war in the Darfur region officially ended with the signing of the peace treaty in Sudan. However, there has still been conflict and violence there ever since.
Source: https://www.wiso.uni-hamburg.de/fachbereich-sowi/professuren/jakobeit/forschung/akuf/archiv/akuf-pressemitteilung-2020.pdf (as of 02/09/2021)
- How does gravity bend time and space?
- Why are Singaporeans so bad at dating
- Is aluminum biodegradable
- How can you get banned from Walmart
- What percentage of soldiers died in the First World War?
- Can Apple Pay support high quality transactions
- Is Bitcoin really the future of cryptocurrency
- Can you thank someone for a positive review?
- Can you remove asbestos from your lungs?
- What explains the secret of the Bermuda Triangle
- What are the nine symptoms of ADHD
- Free weights are better than machines
- Which grocery stores take competitor coupons
- Hot french fries can cause cancer
- Why is spiritual awakening so painful
- How did Rome defeat Carthage
- Richard Mueller is a genius 1
- YouTube is still written in PHP
- How can I promote my international giveaway?
- What are some popular gamification blogs
- What if Snape had never loved Lily Potter
- What are most of the ghetto rap songs
- What does UFO stand for
- Is CBD legal in the US