How much mustard is too much mustard
Mustard: purchase and storage
When buying edible mustard, be sure to pay attention to the list of ingredients. Some manufacturers add the antioxidant sulfur dioxide (E 224), which can cause nausea, headaches or even asthma attacks in sensitive people.
Edible mustard should also be stored in the refrigerator when unopened, as light and heat affect the color and taste. The higher the temperature, the faster the mustard oils break down and the mustard loses its fresh and pungent aroma and its healing properties.
Mustard powder and mustard seeds, like other dried spices, should be stored in a dark, cool and dry place.
The mustard doesn't need a sausage!
Regardless of whether you prefer whole mustard seeds, mustard powder or edible mustard: mustard is an all-rounder in the kitchen. The diverse spice can do much more than play the dip for the bratwurst!
For example, mustard is ideal for creating dressings for the salad, as it acts like an emulsifier and harmoniously combines the oil with the vinegar. For this, z. B. a medium hot mustard as good as a fruit mustard.
But mustard also goes wonderfully with delicious soups, hearty vegetable stews and even tempting desserts. In ancient times, mustard was used as a real stimulant - i.e. as an aphrodisiac - and should therefore not be missing at a love meal.
How about a chocolate soufflé with sweet mustard and mangoes? You will be amazed at the taste explosions a little bit of mustard can cause!
However, it is important that you always add the mustard at the end when cooking, as the valuable ingredients are destroyed by the heat. So z. B. Do not cook a mustard soup after adding the mustard.
The recipe: mustard soup with fresh herbs
What tastes better on cool autumn evenings than a delicious, healthy mustard soup? It can be so easy to combine the pleasant with the useful:
Ingredients for 4 persons):
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 50 g chickpea flour
- 200 ml white wine
- 1 l vegetable stock
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 100 g medium hot mustard
- 1 tbsp marjoram
- 2 tbsp parsley
- ½ bunch of chives
- Peel the onion and garlic cloves and finely dice them.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and lightly sweat the onions and garlic in it without turning them color.
- Add the chickpea flour and stir until a lump-free pulp is formed.
- Then quench the porridge with the white wine and simmer the mixture to a thick sauce.
- Gradually add the broth and cook the soup until it has a creamy consistency.
- Now you can add the coconut milk and finely mix the mustard soup with a hand blender.
- Take the pot off the stove and add the mustard.
- Arrange the mustard soup on plates and sprinkle the finely chopped herbs on top.
tip: You can also use mustard seedlings to garnish the soup.
Mustard leaves and mustard sprouts: delicious and healthy
Knowledgeable wild plant collectors and happy gardeners appreciate not only the seeds, but also the leaves of the mustard plant for their refreshing taste and their cleansing properties. The regular consumption of mustard leaves can z. B. protect against diabetes.
While in our region many people do not even know that mustard leaves can be eaten, they are z. B. a welcome guest in the Ethiopian and Indian cuisine. In India, the leaves of the mustard plant are cooked with garlic and onions and eaten with naan bread.
But you don't have to be a gardener or a collector to enjoy the mustard greens. Mustard seeds are suitable such. B. Broccoli seeds are excellent for growing sprouts, as they grow quickly and give every dish a spicy, spicy note. The first small plants usually germinate the day after sowing and can be harvested after 5 to 7 days.
Mustard sprouts cut a fine figure in salads, in herbal quark or on wholemeal bread and contribute enormously to health, as apart from the high mustard oil content they are very rich in vitamins and stimulate digestion.
Distance training to become a holistic nutritionist
Are you interested in what's in our food and want to know how nutrients and vital substances affect the body? Do you want a healthy life for yourself, your family and fellow human beings? Nutritionists are popular - but the holistic aspect that is needed for sustainable health is often forgotten when giving advice. At the Academy of Naturopathy, you will get to know the connections between lifestyle and diet as well as physical and psychological well-being.
That educates interested people like you in around 16 months to become a holistic nutritionist out.
Is this article worth reading?
Share this article
- Lina Putri-Ayu Friedland, "Possibilities of cancer prevention through glucosinolates in nutrition", diploma thesis, Hamburg University of Applied Sciences, August 2009
- Mazumder A et al, "Sinigrin and Its Therapeutic Benefits," Molecules, March 2016, (Sinigrin and Its Therapeutic Benefits)
- "Mustard seeds nutrition facts", Nutrition-And-You.com, (nutritional analysis of mustard seeds)
- Lozano-Baena MD et al, "Antigenotoxicity and Tumor Growing Inhibition by Leafy Brassica carinata and Sinigrin", Molecules, August 2015, (Antigenotoxicity and the inhibition of tumor growth by leafy Brassica carinata and sinigrin)
- Khuda-Bukhsh AR et al, "Molecular approaches toward targeted cancer prevention with some food plants and their products: inflammatory and other signal pathways", Nutr Cancer, February 2014, (Molecular approaches toward targeted cancer prevention with some food plants and their products: inflammatory and other signal paths)
- Herr I et al, "Sulforaphane and related mustard oils in focus of cancer prevention and therapy", Vienna Med Wochenschr, February 2013, (Sulforaphane and the associated mustard in the focus of cancer prevention and cancer therapy)
- Yuan H et al, "Mustard seeds (Sinapis Alba Linn) attenuate azoxymethane-induced colon carcinogenesis," Redox Rep, January 2011, (Mustard seeds (Sinapis Alba Linn) attenuate azoxymethane-induced colon carcinogenesis)
- Bhattacharya A et al, "Allyl isothiocyanate-rich mustard seed powder inhibits bladder cancer growth and muscle invasion," Carcinogenesis, December 2010, (Mustard powder rich in allyl isothiocyanate inhibits bladder cancer growth and muscle invasion)
- Lamy E et al, "Antigenotoxic action of isothiocyanate-containing mustard as determined by two cancer biomarkers in a human intervention trial", Eur J Cancer Prev, July 2012, (Antigenotoxic effect of isothiocyanate-rich mustard, determined by two cancer biomarkers in a human study)
- Lamy E et al, "Isothiocyanate-containing mustard protects human cells against genotoxins in vitro and in vivo", Mutat Res, December 2011, (Mustard, which contains isothiocyanates, protects human cells in vitro and in vivo against genotoxins)
- Cordeiro RP et al, "Contribution of endogenous plant myrosinase to the antimicrobial activity of deodorized mustard against Escherichia coli O157: H7 in fermented dry sausage", Int J Food Microbiol, October 2014, (The contribution of plant myrosinase to the antimicrobial effect of deodorized mustard against Escherichia coli O157: H7 in fermented hard sausage)
- Thakur AK et al, "Beneficial effects of Brassica juncea on cognitive functions in rats", Pharm Biol, October 2013, (Therapeutic effects of Brassica juncea on the cognitive functions of rats)
- Khattak KF, "Nutrient composition, phenolic content and free radical scavenging activity of some uncommon vegetables of Pakistan", Pak J Pharm Sci, July 2011, (nutrient composition, phenol content and radical scavenging properties of some uncommon vegetables in Pakistan)
- Antonious GF, "Screening Brassica species for glucosinolate content", J Environ Sci Health B, March 2009, (Screening of the glucosinolate content of Brassica species)
- Lai PK, et al, "Antimicrobial and chemopreventive properties of herbs and spices," Curr Med Chem, June 2004, (The antimicrobial and chemoprotective properties of herbs and spices)
- "Mustard greens", The World's Healthiest Foods, (mustard seeds)
- Local Food-Nutraceuticals Consortium, "Understanding local Mediterranean diets: a multidisciplinary pharmacological and ethnobotanical approach", Pharmacol Res, October 2005, (Understanding local Mediterranean diets: a multidisciplinary pharmacological and ethnobotanical approach)
Notice on health issues
This information is passed to the best of my knowledge and belief. They are intended exclusively for those interested and for further training and are in no way to be understood as diagnostic or therapeutic instructions. We do not assume any liability for damages of any kind that arise directly or indirectly from the use of the information. If you suspect illness, please consult your doctor or alternative practitioner
Subscribe to Newsletter
Exciting information about health and nutrition
1x per month
Login Successful. You will shortly receive a confirmation at the specified email address.
With your registration you allow the regular sending of the newsletter and accept the data protection regulations.
HEALTH CENTER © 2021 Neosmart Consulting AG. All rights reserved.
- How does an 11 year old sperm come
- What can kill a tiger
- How is the spacetime of the universe curved?
- Why is felt used under roof tiles
- How many pennies weigh 200 g
- What is the best telesales software SaaS
- Can influencer marketing harm your SEO 1
- Have English phonemes names
- What's the salary at ONGC
- Why do some lack emotional intelligence?
- What surprises you most about Trump's impeachment
- A physical relationship means love
- Who will colonize Mars
- Why aren't we all the same?
- Future Diary Manga was too crazy
- What makes Antarctica cool
- Miss married life after divorce
- How selective is YCombinator
- How much are 30 ml in tablespoons
- Masons kill people for sacrifices
- What is a human resource manager
- How is probability theory used in cryptography
- When are YouTubers paid
- What is a creative strategy for digital marketing
- Is gamification evil
- Long term relationship can work
- Smart people often underestimate their intelligence
- How many marlas are in 150 gaz
- Is Islam against Hinduism
- What is Apple's USP
- Build women a safer job
- How unhealthy are school meals
- Appreciate diamonds over time
- Should speak to strangers while traveling