Is honey not sugar
Honey as an alternative to sugar
Honey as an alternative to sugar is the oldest sweetener and is certainly one of the most common alternatives to avoid industrial sugar. Honey comes from flower nectar or honeydew and is produced by honey bees and some species of ants for their own food supply. It should be stored in a cool, dark and dry environment. This ensures that the flavoring substances and enzymes are retained. Honey mainly consists of fructose (depending on the type of honey between 28 to 45%), glucose (21 to 40%) and water (about 18%). Minerals, enzymes, secondary plant substances and vitamins play a subordinate role. What is amazing is that nowhere in the world is so much honey eaten as here in Germany. We Germans eat an average of just under 1 kilo per person per year.
Benefits of honey as an alternative to sugar
- Due to the very high fructose content, the Sweetness of honey is higher than that of cane sugar.
- Another benefit is the lower energy density to call of honey. While 100g cane sugar has 387 calories, 100g honey "only" has 300 calories.
- Honey often becomes one anti-inflammatory effect said. The fact is that honey is therefore used for medical purposes, for example for honey pads that are used to treat wounds. However, many forget that this is a sterile product that has nothing to do with honey from the supermarket.
- A great advantage of honey is of course that, unlike some other sugar alternatives (birch sugar, erythritol) available everywhere and is comparatively cheap.
Disadvantages of honey as an alternative to sugar
- Honey, which, apart from the water, consists of exactly the same components as sugar, namely fructose and glucose, can penetrate the interdental spaces well. With its sticky consistency, it can spread over the surface of the tooth well and for a long time, and it has Caries exactly the same or a more harmful effect than sugar.
- The Robert Koch Institute recommends not to give honey to infants under twelve months of age, as spores of certain bacteria can survive in honey that are caused by the Pathogens Clostridium botulinum can lead to symptoms of paralysis. For children and adults, however, honey is absolutely harmless.
- According to the Honey Ordinance, honey is a natural product that comes onto the German market without additives or other changes - i.e. 100% natural. Unfortunately, the Stiftung Warentest discovered in 2004 that often Fraudulent labeling was operated. If there was wild flower honey on the package, that didn't mean that there was wild flower honey in it too. Unfortunately, nitrofurans, i.e. residues of antibiotics, were also found in honey.
- The quality of honey varies a lot. As a natural product, it is very surprising that in the past questionable ingredients such as microplastics, but of course also chemical pesticides, pesticides and others in honey Toxins were found.
- Due to the high fructose content, honey can cause fructose malabsorption, i.e. fructose intolerance diarrhea to lead.
- Since we only cover a small proportion of our honey needs with local honey and the rest of the honey comes primarily from South America, the Life cycle assessment of honey on average pretty bad. It is better to buy honey produced locally. It is available at almost every weekly market.
Honey in the kitchen
Honey can be used well for baking. However, sugar cannot be replaced 1: 1 with honey. Why? Because honey contains up to 20% water and gives the dough more mass. The liquid should be reduced accordingly in order to achieve a similar baking result.
If honey is heated to over 40 ° C, important ingredients are lost. Therefore, one should refrain from cooking with honey.
- Are the UAE the first country in the world
- How do I find the best necklaces online
- Why is Rockstar Games so successful
- Why is the value of money falling?
- What about geometry
- How easy is it to grow watermelon
- Life is essentially an RPG
- How many years has Hillary been studied
- Will there be a recession in the US?
- How do I become a bad programmer
- Is the iPhone 6s Plus too big?
- Where does God exist 1
- Why should you enjoy life
- Who succeeded the first emperor of China
- How should a person deal with money
- How was your interview experience at byjus
- Which is the best school in Siliguri
- What motivated them to have children
- Consciousness can be viewed as energy
- How do I find a niche website
- Which is better NITIE or IITB design
- Why are dogs loyal but not humans
- Are fat people socially discriminated against?
- Is it normal to never feel satisfied?