What aquariums do great white sharks have
Wildlife in aquariumswhite Sharks to die in captivity
Great white sharks often only survive a few days in captivity. The biologist Mario Ludwig explains what causes this.
Since the 1970s there have been repeated attempts to keep great white sharks in aquariums around the world. After all, that would drive up the number of visitors enormously. However, great white sharks have never survived that long in captivity: they often die after a few weeks or even a few days.
After just three days, a three and a half meter tall great white shark died in the Japanese Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium. His condition had deteriorated dramatically within a very short time. For comparison: In the wild, great white sharks can live up to 70 years.
Confined and no living prey
There are speculations as to why great white sharks do not survive in captivity. They often cover hundreds of kilometers a day in the open ocean. A comparatively small area is available to them in the aquarium. This makes the great white sharks not only aggressive, but probably also depressed.
Also, great white sharks only eat live prey in the wild. In aquariums, however, they are usually only offered dead animals. This is why great white sharks often refuse to eat in captivity, says biologist Mario Ludwig. And often the water quality does not seem to be suitable for great white sharks.
Disorientation due to technology - aquariums can confuse sharks
Sharks have a highly sensitive sensory system with which they can perceive electrical fields from prey. These so-called Lorenzini ampoules are extremely important for sharks to catch prey, but also for orientation.
Researchers suspect that the glass panes and the technical equipment of the aquarium may confuse this sensory system and make the sharks disoriented.
A crowd puller: the great white shark of Monterey Bay
In 2005, a young female great white shark was caught by fishermen off the coast of California. The process of getting used to the aquarium was cautious: biologists first accustomed the animal to captivity in a huge sea cage near Malibu.
Subsequently, the approximately one and a half year old female great white shark lived for half a year in the aquarium of Monterey Bay. However, she was then released due to problems.
Monterey Bay Shark develops hunting instinct
Biologists attribute the fact that the female shark apparently felt at home in the aquarium to the fact that the fish has grown significantly in size and weight: from one and a half meters to 1.90 meters.
As the great white shark got bigger, it started hunting the other fish in the tank. For example, within a few days the female great white shark bitten to death two smaller dog sharks.
Headline - Great White Shark Bites Back to Freedom
To avoid further deaths, the aquarium management has decided to release the great white shark back into the sea. At that time the newspapers ran the headline: Great white shark bites its way back into freedom.
The fact that this great white shark survived for six months in the aquarium may be due to the fact that it was carefully accustomed to captivity. At the beginning of captivity, the shark was relatively young and small, which made it easier to feed. Young great white sharks feed on fish, adults on seals, turtles and small whales.
- Which Steam game should I get
- An eating disorder can be diagnosed
- Sells original Amazon products
- What is the curse of modern existence
- Can AI beat all stock markets
- What are your favorite educational puzzle games
- When did the players go into hiding in netball?
- What's the best way to learn Japanese
- Bit torrent is safe
- Are MRIs safer than X-rays
- What is technology in education
- How do you say rural in Japanese?
- Is the food really cheap in India?
- How does it feel to be torn apart
- Why are sheets green 1
- How is Google AMP
- What are some examples of political correctness
- Is the Chinese civilization Egyptian?
- Future Diary Manga was too crazy
- Who likes poetry and why
- Will aspirin get rid of pregnancy
- What are the major world events
- Why is obesity obsolete?
- What are the advantages of the rural area
- What is the scope of a career in tourism
- Donald J Trump goes to jail
- Can a teacher refuse a student
- Difference between input and output voltage
- How do you gain parental respect
- What does distress mean in the Bible
- Will have verified WhatsApp accounts for businesses
- What makes a person homosexual
- Is always cheaper than taxi