Which margarine is best for baking
Butter or margarine on bread? Germans tend towards animal products: each inhabitant uses an average of six kilograms of butter per year, compared to five kilograms of margarine. One advantage of vegetable fat: It is usually not only suitable as a spread, but also for baking, cooking or frying. Stiftung Warentest has now examined 19 full-fat margarines in the laboratory - the test confirms that most margarines have good properties.
This is how the Stiftung Warentest proceeded
- The examiners examined 19 full-fat margarines and spreadable fats with a fat content of 70 to 80 percent. Among them were three organic products.
- Most important for the evaluation was the nutritional quality, it made up 35 percent of the overall grade.
- Taste and smell were included in the overall rating with a total of 25 percent.
- The examiners also examined the margarines for pollutants that can arise during the processing of the fats.
These are the main results
- The test winner is called "Deli Reform - Das Original" and costs an average of 1.44 euros per 500 grams. The product convinces with "fresh taste and a clear butter note". Overall grade: good (1.8).
- A total of eight margarines did well. Including the house brands of Edeka, Aldi Süd, Kaufland, Aldi (Nord) and Netto. They cost 0.75 euros per 500 grams each and are therefore among the cheapest margarines tested.
- During the production of the spreadable fats, harmful substances such as glycidyl esters can arise. They are contained in all products, but their content is usually low. Stiftung Warentest rated the brands Eden, Provamel and Sana as "burdened". The Sonja margarine contained the highest amount of glycidyl ester, which is why the product received the rating poor.
- The best organic margarine is called "Rapunzel - Prima Pure Vegetable Margarine", overall grade satisfactory (2.9).
- Some of the best-known margarines are missing from the ranking: Rama, Sanella, Provamel and Becel did not receive an overall rating from Stiftung Warentest. The reason are the flavorings it contains. These are added to margarines so that they taste similar to butter. In the case of products without an overall rating, however, the testers were not sure whether the statement "natural flavors" was correct. In the laboratory, there were indications that the aromas contained came from non-natural sources, i.e. that they were produced by chemical synthesis. The information on the packaging would then not be correct. According to Stiftung Warentest, however, the providers deny this. Conclusion of the testers: "For us, doubts remain about the natural production method of the aroma of Provamel, Becel Gold, Rama and Sanella." Therefore no overall grade.
- 18 margarines contain palm oil, for the cultivation of which rainforests are often cleared. Three products bear the RSPO seal for sustainable cultivation, including the "Edeka Gut & Favorable Plant Margarine".
- You can read the full results at Stiftung Warentest. The item costs 2.50 euros.
- According to Stiftung Warentest, margarine contains slightly more beneficial fats than butter for health. These include omega-3 fatty acids and monounsaturated fatty acids. These seem to be able to lower the risk of heart disease. However, it is controversial among nutritionists how much the diet affects the cholesterol level, for example. In addition, it is unclear whether the influence of saturated fatty acids actually promotes disease.
- Margarine should also only be consumed sparingly. 100 grams of vegetable margarine contains 720 kilocalories, which is similar to that of butter (750 kcal / 100 g).
- The World Health Organization recommends covering a maximum of 30 percent of the calorie requirement with fats. The German Nutrition Society (DGE) considers 30 to 35 percent beneficial. A woman with a daily requirement of 2000 kilocalories should not consume more than 78 grams of fat.
- Consumers should pay attention to information on the packaging as to whether the margarine is also suitable for frying or baking. However, not all manufacturers indicate this.
Read more on the subject
- How does PTSD affect your daily life?
- What makes you want to share an answer
- Jungkook will go to jail
- What are early symptoms of gout
- Can Pakistan get Kashmir
- Why don't I feel good after running?
- How safe is it to travel in Pakistan
- How does UNICEF recruit
- Would you go out with a former fat girl
- What are ingenious ways to hide things
- Fingerprints change with age
- Why do insecure people disapprove of you
- Why are tariffs important
- Why is the Facebook Ads platform so flawed
- When we die, we just disappear
- What computer can i buy
- Why China is devaluing the yuan currency
- What are 8 Interesting Facts About You
- Are dogs cleaner than cats
- Are cats intelligent
- Which bat does Ben Stokes use
- You can buy working silver balls
- Is there something that has no name
- What does it mean to reject the null hypothesis