What species will survive humans?
Homo sapiens: survival through adaptation
"An ecological look at the origins and nature of our species could provide information about the unique development path of Homo sapiens," says Patrick Roberts from the Max Planck Institute for the History of Human Beings in Jena. "Food sharing between non-relatives, long-distance contact and exchange between populations, and ritual relationships would have made it easier for individual groups to adapt to local environmental changes and displace other species," added Brian Stewart of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. The two researchers substantiate their hypothesis with published data from archaeological and palaeontological finds dating from 300,000 to 12,000 years ago and allowing conclusions to be drawn about the respective habitats of Homo sapiens and other human species.
Both in Africa and on other continents, representatives of the genus Homo lived in savannah and forest landscapes, on rivers and seashores. But Homo sapiens was possibly the only species that could also exist permanently in mountainous regions of Africa, Tibet and the Andes, in tropical rainforests, desert and polar regions. Related species such as Homo erectus and Homo neanderthalensis were likely to have been more restricted in their habitat and diet choices. There are too few finds of early human remains from desert areas or from the Amazon rainforest, according to the researchers. Such fossils could prove whether only Homo sapiens or other human species were able to develop new and extreme habitats. The key to success was perhaps the combination of two strategies that are normally considered alternative ways of life in biology: As a "generalist", Homo sapiens could colonize very different habitats and adapt his diet accordingly. As “specialists”, some populations have developed special adaptations if necessary, which also made it possible to live under extreme environmental conditions. A lack of such flexibility could have led to the extinction of all other human species.
- Where can I get high quality newsletter services
- Can life be understood
- Is gravity faster than light 1
- What is arteriosclerotic heart disease ASHD
- What year was the penny introduced?
- What is the spiritual meaning of 69
- How is aluminum hardened?
- Why was Zakir Naik banned in the UK?
- Why are thin people always bullied?
- Why do patients flirt with their nurse
- What's on your pc
- Why is Ezra Pound considered a fascist
- What happened to Mary after Jesus died
- How can I speak German fluently?
- How does water increase the heart rate
- Students with ADHD are just lazy
- Why don't schools teach nutrition and diet
- What would Jesse Helms think of Trump
- Can we ever build immunity against cancer?
- How did the quagga become extinct
- Physicists feel smart
- What geographic careers are there
- What do Australians eat for dinner
- How can I sell my OneCoin