London has a flag
What does the English flag mean?
The flag of England shows a red cross on a white background: it is the cross of Saint George, England's patron saint. For the numbers people among us: the cross is a fifth as wide as the flag is high. The proportion is 16: 9, which is probably still known to many as the format of the TV set at home.
The Union Jack
The Saint George Cross is also part of the Union Jack, the flag of the United Kingdom. When the English and Scottish Kingdoms were united under James I, the crosses of St. George (England) and St. Andrew (Scotland) came about, so to speak.
History of the flag of EnglandThe exact roots of the flag are not known. What is certain is that the George Cross appeared during the Crusades and is one of the oldest symbols of England. The namesake of the cross, St. George, has been a patron saint since the 13th century.
However, the George Cross probably did not have the status of a national flag until the 16th century, since all crosses of the saints were banned during the Reformation. The first reference to the use of the cross at sea comes from 1545.
The George Cross was also used on flags of other Christian countries and cities. This is also how it appears in the flag of Georgia. Here St. George is also a patron saint. And also the former flag of Northern Ireland ("Red Hand Flag") shows, among other things, the George Cross. Many flags and coats of arms of former British colonies also go back to the English national flag or the British Union Jack.
- Heliotrope is toxic to cats
- How can I mess with NASA
- How do I make money with WordPress
- Can or will reunite Malaysia and Singapore
- What do dementors make by guarding Azkaban?
- Meth smoke rises or falls
- Invented Amazon affiliate programs
- Why should anyone vote against Trump again?
- What is philosophy in symbolic logic
- How should I behave with escort girls
- How can I resell SaaS products
- Can the mind exist without a brain
- May Malaysians Pakistanis
- Has Quora stopped requesting responses anonymously
- Why are all Tamils not Hindu
- Quora changes people's lives
- How many girls think they are overweight
- How dangerous is Erdogan
- What does impeachment mean for Donald Trump
- How was the reign of Caesar Augustus
- What Makes Tates Cookies So Popular
- What is the final stage of dying
- Shop with a grocery list
- What are bonus rules and regulations