What percentage of Harvard graduates are unsuccessful?
Emergency start-ups: University dropouts are the less successful founders
The scientists Guido Buenstorf, Kristian Nielsen and Bram Timmermans evaluated Danish labor market data and found that those who drop out of their studies are much more likely to start a business afterwards. 2.4 percent of dropouts go into business on their own, but only 1.5 percent of successful graduates. It is not clear from the data whether self-employment is an emergency solution here, but the conclusion is obvious.
In Germany, unemployment is one of the reasons why people want to become self-employed. Even those who actually dared to take the step into self-employment were often not just about realizing great ideas or being their own boss. Many just wanted to get out of unemployment.
However, the step into self-employment did not pay off for the Danish founders who gave up their studies. At least not in comparison to the competition: They made an average turnover of 360,000 kroner (48,345 euros). Founders with a university degree, on the other hand, had an annual turnover of 480,000 crowns (64,460 euros). The income of the founders themselves was also 17 percent lower on average. "The study provides no evidence for the thesis that success stories like those of Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerberg are typical of college dropouts," writes Bünstorf in his essay, which was published in the journal Small Business Economics. Zuckerberg, Gates and Jobs didn't set up their companies after they'd been thrown out of university or rattled through exams; they gave up their studies in favor of their companies.
- How mega-churches collect tithe
- Why was Burma renamed Myanmar
- When does Malaysia celebrate its Independence Day?
- What makes a song happy or sad
- Why does the government actually levy taxes?
- How can I use cryptography in telecommunications
- How much VRAM does Vega 11
- Which random event influenced the story enormously
- Why is US foreign policy so interventionist
- How effective is ultrasonic cleaning
- Who does America belong to?
- Is it okay to eat at midnight
- Why should I never visit Myanmar
- What happens when the universe is infinite
- What's the easiest margarita recipe
- Why do people become cruel
- What is a hard drive
- What is an Employment Background Review
- Why is everything so good
- Why is the word uppity offensive
- Pennies are really useless
- What will the NRA replace
- What does it mean to reject the null hypothesis
- What's the healthiest way to die
- Knew the Beatles' music theory
- Why is Yoast SEO better
- Which are the free product management tools
- Why is China an international trading giant
- Uses Quora deep learning
- Black holes send out massive lightning strikes
- How is set theory related to probability?
- Is it easier to travel alone
- Does Amazon ever deliver early
- Radiologists get cancer