How did the quagga become extinct
Quagga (Equus quagga quagga)
The quagga was a type of zebra and belonged to the horse family. It was a subspecies of the plains zebra. Nowadays an attempt is made to create an image of the quaggas through breeding and DNA analysis.
The quagga was eradicated at the end of the 19th century. On the one hand it was hunted because of the leather and meat, on the other hand it was also shot by sport hunters. The quagga was already extinct near the Orange River by 1850. The last animal still living in the wild died between 1870 and 1877. The reason for this was also the long period of drought. The last quagga to live in captivity died on August 12, 1883 in the Amsterdam Zoo. According to sightings, there should have been smaller groups of quaggas until 1901.
Quaggas were about four feet tall. What is striking about the quagga are the missing stripes on the abdomen, which is why it was also described as a hybrid of horse and zebra. The black and white stripe pattern was particularly visible on the head and neck. On the other hand, the stripes on the back and sides became paler. The abdomen was reddish-brown in color. However, isolated specimens had their entire body covered with stripes. The legs did not have a striped pattern.
The distribution area of the quaggas was South Africa. It lived preferentially in dry grassland areas via Lake Oranje and Lake Vaal to the Great Kei River.
Very little is known about the behavior. The quagga ate a variety of sizes. Quaggas probably lived in groups of around 50 individuals.
- What should I write to my new friend
- What are the basic rules of fashion
- See your GRE score instantly
- What is the need for patriotism
- What is business logic for laypeople
- Should I help a homeless person?
- Online casino games are fixed odds
- How have you maintained your work ethic
- Why does nobody agree with my answers
- Why are people so against social media
- Why was dark matter not observed directly
- What's fifteen percent of two thousand
- Why are art exhibitions important
- How's the night life in Fairfield CT
- Emphasizes some kind of adjective
- What do most boys masturbate with?
- What does a disarming smile look like
- What is the best ETF to buy
- Is an internship an extracurricular activity
- What's your first experience with Quora
- Why are questions being asked about Quora
- Jumbo loans require mortgage insurance
- What was Man's first word
- How does the gyroscopic precession work