Which camera should I buy for photography?
Which camera should I buy? Cameras are stupid!
But which camera should I buy? Indeed: cameras are stupid. They are equipped with all kinds of functions, but they don't even know what we are photographing. So it's not the technology that's important, but the person. Tips for the right camera and focus:
This article, “Which Camera Should I Buy? Cameras are stupid! " was published for you in July 2018 and revised in April 2021.
Photographic know-how - the photographer takes the photo
Let's bridle the horse from the other side. I am convinced that a good amateur photographer or photographer will take better photos with a smartphone than a beginner with no design skills with a Nikon D810 or Canon 1Dx Mark II. These last two top cameras are just as stupid as a smartphone. The Canon and Nikon digital cameras can do all sorts of things, but they don't know what we want to photograph, how we want to photograph it or how a good photo is taken. This is precisely why the question arises:
Why a good camera? And which camera should I buy?
People keep saying: "Boh, what a great camera!" You meet a professional photographer with a large reflex camera and thick lens and assume with the statement that the camera takes or improves the photo. What nonsense! Every good cook conjures up a better menu in a 20 or 50 year old pan than an unskilled amateur with one of these expensive kitchen mixers.
In other words, as a professional, I would certainly be great at exposing wedding photos with an iPhone, while the guy from the cheese counter would totally screw it up with his new SLR camera. And yet we keep talking about camera technology, cars, horsepower and acceleration. What nonsense that is, at least for beginners in photography. Of course that's a great topic: this camera has these functions, this one has those. But: no camera is perfect. Maybe close to perfect, but never quite perfect.
- Large 18 megapixel CMOS sensor in APS-C format
- TTL-CT-SIR with CMOS sensor, AF measurement value storage - by pressing the shutter button halfway in One-Shot AF mode
- 7.5 cm (3.0 inch) TFT, approx. 920,000 pixels, range of the internal flash - up to a focal length of 17 mm (corresponds to 27 mm for KB)
- IMPRESSIVE QUALITY - The APS-C CMOS sensor with 24.2 megapixels and the 7,560 pixel measuring sensor (RGB + IR), which ensures precise exposure, enable lively and detailed images full of atmosphere in every situation. The large ISO range of ISO 100-16,000 and the flicker detection ensure first-class results in low light
- LET THE CREATIVITY RUN FREE - Continuous shots at up to 7 fps and a responsive 45-point AF, which works precisely in a wide variety of lighting conditions and with various lenses, make it possible to capture the decisive moment
- IDEAL VIDEO RECORDING - The camera enables full HD video recordings at 60 fps and the option of creative slow-motion or fast-motion sequences in MP4 format with various frame rates. The Dual Pixel CMOS AF is a powerful AF system for continuous focus tracking during video recordings
Cameras are stupid and never perfect
A Nikon D850 is not a very good camera for street photography. A Fujifilm X-T2 is not a very good camera for wildlife photography. A Fujifilm GFX 50S is not a sports camera. One camera is never the right one for everything. We can talk about this for a long time.
But we can also talk about the photos instead, which are neglected in all the gossip about technology. Perhaps it is also much more interesting to analyze why this or that camera is bought. Does it have to do with the massive advertising that the camera manufacturer is running? Or does it have to do with the commission for the seller? I claim that 95% of all cameras are not sold because of the intrinsic values and knowledge of the buyer, but for completely different reasons. Maybe because the seller favors this camera. Or because the camera looks great?
Good reasons for good cameras
A good reason for a good camera can be that the camera supports me well in my work. There are certain requirements for cameras for certain photo tasks. Other good reasons for expensive cameras can be:
- a good image result
- high resolution for exhibitions
- Fast series picture function for sports photography or wildlife photography
- better colors for great portrait photos
In my opinion, there are even good reasons to buy a fancy camera. The design of a camera has to inspire us when we take photos. Only a beautiful camera can make me so ecstatic that I immediately want to take pictures with it.
Emotions when buying a camera
Let's just not believe that buying a camera is reason-driven! Buying a camera has little to do with reason, just as little as buying a car, otherwise Alfa Romeo would not sell any more cars because, in my opinion, the carts do not have a reputation for being particularly reliable.
Buying a camera is emotionally driven. The “want to have”, wanting to expose beautiful photos with the camera, the design, whether the camera sits comfortably in the hand, the advertising, the statement of the seller are reasons for our purchase. I contend that few people don't buy your camera for emotional reasons. Most people want to have the best camera in the world. Very few do not want to buy the best technical device, the best pan, the best car.
Example: who doesn't want to have a TESLA in their garage at the moment? The cart does not require fuel, is supposedly environmentally friendly, looks damn good and is extremely good on the move. In addition there is the idea of what the neighbor would do for greedy eyes. If you buy a good racing bike and put it next to it, nobody will be interested in the racing bike, although it is much better for the body, mind and environmental protection.
Which camera should I buy?
It's similar when buying a camera. Personally, I don't care what it says on the camera. I would never buy the 1Dx Mark XYZ from Canon because it is too heavy for me. I could also mask off all the brand symbols and do without anyone looking at the names. I was a wedding photographer with two EOS 5D Mark IIs for eight years and took better photos than the wealthy wedding guest who had just bought a Mark IV and was in full auto mode.
So that it is immediately clear: I grant the camera manufacturers their sales, I grant every wealthy amateur photographer their best camera. I am not envious. I'm just saying that we are all on the wrong track when it comes to tech debates. To prove that, here is my offer: I will take pictures of your wedding for free with an iPhone (2 hours of photography). You only pay the journey (50km around Grefrath are free, 100km maximum distance) and agree to the publication of the photos on this and another website.
To get right up front, whatever you think, I'll keep writing and enjoying myself about stupid camera technology. The editors of * fotowissen will continue to talk about photos and discuss them constructively. Because:
Photography should be about the photo!
Please buy the camera that you like and make you happy. This is what the hobby photography is all about: your luck.
- Immortalize your most beautiful memories - photography is a complex art. It is a subtle combination of subject, image recording, color and light. Show and share your most beautiful pictures with the SONGMICS picture frames. 2 pieces 20x25 cm (8x10 "), 4 pieces 13x18 cm (5x7") and 4 pieces 10x15 cm (4x6 ")
- Selected materials - The photo frames are made of MDF boards (class E1), robust and sustainable; Compared to the glass cover, the hard-to-break PS picture cover has a high level of security (please remove the two protective films before use); thus the picture frame is also ideal for children's rooms
- To hang up or to stand up - each frame has 2 hooks and 1 stand, it can be hung or set up according to your wishes and needs. The 10 frames can be used together or separately
- 1. High-quality material and elegant design: Pine wood is robust and durable and our frames with their rounded corners have been carefully painted right down to the edges. Together with the frame window made of Plexiglas, every photo finds a secure hold here in the two centimeter thick frame. Great importance was attached to an environmentally friendly UV primer and a high-quality PU surface lacquer for the black and white lacquering
- 2.3 most common 1: 1 installation template contains. We give your picture the right frame: Our set of 26 picture frames can be bought in different denominations and colors. Incidentally, including a spirit level and installation template, so that every pencil drawing and photo can easily find its right and straight fit. Namely in frames made of high-quality pine wood, which are both durable and timelessly elegant
- 3. Fine craftsmanship and elegant design: In fact, our picture frames impress with their environmentally friendly production and will give you a lot of pleasure for a long time, elaborate and dehydrated at high temperatures. A simple, yet high-quality piece of craftsmanship that also makes your photos and watercolors an eye-catcher on every wall
© Peter Roskothen is a professional photographer, photo trainer, photo journalist - cameras are stupid - which camera should I buy?
- Which gear is the fastest
- What is the Religious Freedom Institute
- Why is evil seen as evil?
- Cryptocurrency trading is really not regulated
- What is the best exercise for general fitness
- What is your most precious memory
- How were horoscopes invented
- Was Donald Trump's impeachment justified?
- Should nationalism override humanity
- What do you eat in the morning
- Throwing the dice is actually random
- Who has a crush on your celebrity 1
- Should I buy a Final Fantasy XV?
- What are paradigms? What are some examples
- How do you accept being poor?
- Why do people prefer extroverted leaders
- What are the different areas of biology
- How did Mahathir Mohamad come to power
- Why is Vietnam a poor nation
- What percentage of Americans are current Marines?
- How would you define evil
- Who created the minimum wage
- How can an aspie gain confidence
- What are the requirements for dynamic programming
- Ultrasonic cleaners damage the bearings
- Some people try to be overweight
- Which is better SEO or PPC
- How can you get free Steam Keys?
- Where can I buy diamonds
- What makes a company scalable
- Is yellow journalism legal
- What does UFO stand for
- Why don't a lot of adults play video games