Chinese people actually eat strange animals
Taiwan is the first Asian country to prohibit dog eating
Taiwan's crackdown marks a significant advance in the fight against killing dogs and cats for food - a centuries-old East Asian tradition that is still legal in China, South Korea, and the Philippines. Adam Parascandola, director of Animal Protection and Crisis Response at Humane Society International, believes Taiwan's decision is evidence that a traditional practice need not be an obstacle to ending a "cruel and outdated eating habit."
While the public focus nature of the dog meat industry seems to suggest a widespread and deeply entrenched cultural practice - the Humane Society International estimates that 30 million dogs are killed in Asia each year - in fact, most Chinese do not eat dog meat at all. According to an Animals Asia study from 2015, less than a quarter of Chinese in large cities like Beijing and Shanghai had eaten dog meat in the previous two years.
South Korea is seeing a similar trend away from dog meat, especially among young people. Even so, the Animal Welfare Institute - a nonprofit animal welfare organization in Washington, D.C. - that two million dogs are killed in the country every year. With the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyongyang approaching, Korea is facing increasing pressure to crack down on industry. In December 2016, authorities called for a gradual end to slaughter in Seoul's Moran Market - the country's largest dog meat market, which sells 80,000 dogs annually. So far, traders have refused and are at a dead end with activists and authorities on the future of the market, which continues to operate.
Parascandola believes Taiwan's decision will put China and South Korea under further pressure: "The activists in mainland China will say that if Taiwan can do it, there is no reason for mainland China not to do it."
- All US soldiers are Republicans
- How does insulin reduce triglycerides
- Make vegans do better in life
- How did the Roman army train
- How do we start to learn the stock exchange
- What are go-to-market strategies
- Why do non-Muslims fear Muslims
- How do you test a voltage regulator
- What happens to money from zoos?
- Is it worth doing freelance?
- Can fabrics such as polyester be recycled?
- Which is the best blog against YouTube
- Can the middle class boycott rich people
- How can I use cryptography in telecommunications
- Which NASA job has more salary?
- How can I buy happiness in sex
- How much do BTS Fan Meeting Tickets cost
- NDTV is a paid news channel
- Why abolish the electoral college
- Will mass shootings ever stop?
- How long can light travel in space?
- Why China is devaluing the yuan currency
- Do dogs have a sense of self?
- What is a masonic ring finger