What do psychologists think of personality tests
Free personality test: it's all in you!
Anyone taking a personality test wants to find out something about themselves - be it to see their own assumption confirmed or actually to discover something new. Women's magazines are full of personality tests. The internet even more. The scope varies considerably: some tests can be completed within a few minutes, others easily take an hour or more. The content also partially covers different areas: character, inner strength, emotional intelligence, that kind of thing. Here we show you what you can find out about yourself with a personality test, how such tests work and how you can protect yourself against self-deception. There is also a free personality test right here in the browser as well as many more to click through and test ...
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
Personality test: in psychology and applicant selection
Personality tests are used in psychology to determine certain characteristics and personality traits of people. A distinction is made between ...
- General personality test
These are psychological tests that you can use to examine various traits (such as intelligence or social skills) or behavior. But also whether you are on the verge of burnout or how important honesty is to you.
- Job-related test
Above all, it is examined whether, for example, an applicant has certain characteristics that match the advertised position (so-called "aptitude tests" or "recruitment tests").
Personality analysis and psychological characteristics play an important role, especially when selecting executives. Such selection processes were already used in the German military in the 1920s. American companies later took up this idea and developed the well-known assessment center from it.
The Big Five model behind the test
Most personality tests today are based on different psychological models and theories. One of the best-known models are the so-called Big Five, also known as the "OCEAN model". According to the model, five characteristics determine every personality: These five factors that make up the acronym OCEAN are:
- Extraversion (extraversion)
- Compatibility (Agreeableness)
The "Bochum inventory" for job-related personality description (BIP) is, for example, such a personality test that is based on the Big Five, but excludes private matters.
Overview: Free tests online
If you feel like taking a few online psychological tests, personality tests, quizzes and self-tests: You will find numerous of them on the career bible - all of them free of charge and can be completed directly online. Try it! Here and at the end of the article you will find a small selection of links to tests and overviews with further recommendations:
PS: Do you already know the so-called E-Test? With this simple test you can find out, among other things, how empathic your counterpart is (see video):
Free Personality Test: What Type Are You?
Find out more about your character and personality! We have developed a free personality test that you can take quickly and easily using ten questions. Try - without thinking twice - to choose one of the given answers that most closely applies to you. Then remember (or write down) which answer type you have chosen the most (A, B, C or D). You will find the resolution at the end of the test.
By the way, most people are a mixture of the types described. In their pure form, none of the characteristics will probably apply to you, so that the other solutions are also suitable for you. The personality test gives you at least a tendency as to which type is dominant in you.
Personality test: 10 questions - 4 types
1. How do you behave in society when you introduce yourself to strangers?
- It's a bit difficult for me, I avoid such situations whenever possible. (B)
- Before doing this, I pick someone I know and chat “warmly”. (C)
- One of my easiest exercises. (A)
- I approach other people relaxed. (D)
2. How do you deal with setbacks?
- Get up, adjust the crown and move on. (A)
- Something like that throws me off track and it takes me longer to get over it. (B)
- It depends what it is, but I have good friends who help. (C)
- Everyone has low points in life. What is important is what you learn from it. (D)
3. Do you catch yourself daydreaming more often?
- No, I don't have time for that. (D)
- Yes, and then I am always shocked to see how much time has passed again. (B)
- It happens every now and then. I often have the best ideas there. (C)
- I do not dream, I achieve my goals! (A)
4. The e-mail inbox is overflowing, the phone is ringing all the time: How do you react?
- I try to respond to all inquiries as quickly as possible. (B)
- I briefly scan the senders, pick out the most important things, and redirect the calls to my colleague. (A)
- I set myself a deadline by when I want something to be done and work it off. (D)
- I take it as it comes - sometimes an email, sometimes a phone call. (C)
5. Do you often feel that you have to justify your views?
- No not at all. If someone has a problem with me, let them speak to me. (A)
- I sometimes fear that I might have been misunderstood and I want to clarify that. (B)
- It can happen that others don't understand me, but I don't see why I should justify my opinion? (D)
- I wouldn't call it justification. But in principle you can discuss anything with me and I will be happy to explain my views. (C)
6. How do you deal with pressure and deadlines?
- The situation can be uncomfortable, but I know what to do. (C)
- I keep a cool head in stressful situations. (A)
- That always makes me tired. (B)
- You have to go through it from time to time. (D)
7. How do you deal with risks and difficult to assess situations?
- No risk, no fun! (A)
- If you weigh the risks, there are no more. (D)
- I avoid careless behavior. (B)
- Different, in some situations it was risky. (C)
8. How do you feel about punctuality?
- I'll be there 30 minutes before work starts and make my coffee in peace. (B)
- 10 minutes in advance is enough to give me an overview. (D)
- I am punctual. (A)
- When the streets are full, things can get tight. (C)
9. How confident are you of yourself?
- I know my strengths and my weaknesses. (D)
- I am very good at what I do. (A)
- Self-praise stinks. I have a lot to learn. (B)
- I get on well with what I do - can't be so wrong. (C)
10. There is a heated discussion at work. How are you acting?
- I'm trying to separate the brawlers. That doesn't lead to anything. (A)
- I try not to lose my sense of humor, I distract myself with something else: there is cake! (C)
- I declare that nothing can be changed on the point of contention and that they ignore the matter. (D)
- I try to recognize commonalities and convey them. (B)
Evaluation of the personality test
Can a test determine the character?
Trying to judge a person by character or personality is as old as humanity. In ancient times there was the doctrine of four juices, which assigned different body fluids to a certain type of person and thus explained seasonal and disease-related traits. This later became the doctrine of four temperaments, which, following the "humoral pathology", also divided people into four basic types.
Personality tests always follow a certain curiosity and the question: "Who am I really?" Even if the ancient considerations are no longer scientifically tenable today, it is undisputed that there are different characters and personalities. A personality test can help reveal what type you are:
➠ Are You Honest?
➠ Are You Introverted?
➠ Are You Open?
➠ Are You Sociable?
➠ Are you risk takers?
➠ Are You Creative?
➠ Are You Pragmatic?
However, most personality tests can only spotlight this. They remain isolated moments. A personality is too complex to be finally determined with 20, 30 or 100 questions. Through such tests, we only see parts of ourselves (or others). But that doesn't make it any less insightful or entertaining. Please make yourself aware:
- A personality test cannot replace hours of coaching or psychological counseling. It only gives hints or suggestions for self-reflection.
- It makes a difference how strong the characteristics tested are. If the results fluctuate to one extreme or another, tendencies can be identified. A moderate expression, on the other hand, makes a statement and evaluation more difficult. It can also depend on the daily constitution.
Human behavior and our characteristics are difficult to measure. Corresponding procedures can therefore hardly be standardized. BUT…
The more details and the more facets of ourselves we (can) look at, the sharper the picture becomes. So personality tests shouldn't be dismissed as “hocus-pocus”. In some cases they may still have predominantly entertainment value, but in total they can be extremely useful to find out more about us: Why we behave in one way or another; why we think what we think or mean what we mean.
A personality test (or rather “several”) can therefore help you with self-analysis and self-management. You will learn to pursue questions that you may not have asked yourself before. Or you discover connections that you have never noticed or were aware of before. That's not just a pretty useful thing. It is also an important step towards more self-competence.
10 quick personality tests
Have you got a taste for it? Would you like more psychological tests and personality tests? Then we have a selection of the 10 most popular tests that you can take right here online with us. All anonymously, of course, and absolutely free of charge.
Have fun and lots of insightful insights!
With 3 questions about the real you
Quiet, loud, euphoric, reserved or self-confident - a person's personality is just as unique as their fingerprint. It is all the more important to know yourself and your personality exactly - even if your personality develops and matures over time. The so-called Tibetan personality test is a specialty of all psychological tests: It is short, crisp and immediately reveals a new view of our life and our priorities - allegedly with a hit rate of 97 percent.
➠ About the personality test:Tibetan personality test
What type of character are you?
A question that is particularly interesting for many people: “What distinguishes me?” One answer to this is provided by the so-called Myers Briggs test. Here, too, different dimensions of personality are considered, which can result in different types. In the following article you will find background information and tips on how to take a free Myers Briggs test in English.
➠ About the personality test:Myers Briggs review: what type of character are you?
What does your handwriting reveal about you?
Show me how you write and I'll tell you who you are! Experts can deduce a great deal about personality from a person's handwriting: Determined behavior or rather cautious restraint? Lazy or motivated manager or just employee? For the evaluations, various aspects of the font are analyzed and compared with others. We have developed a free handwriting test for you and explain what can be read from the peculiarities of your handwriting between the lines.
➠ About the personality test:What does your handwriting reveal?
Are you too critical of yourself?
It is an important skill to be able to criticize yourself and to recognize your own mistakes and weaknesses. This is the only way you can work on it or learn from missteps. However, self-criticism often exceeds the healthy level. A big problem because you do not realize yourself that you are too self-critical and that you are being judged far too harshly. Therefore, to do something about excessive self-criticism, you must first recognize that you are too self-critical.
➠ About the personality test:Too self-critical? Take the test
Are you biased?
Hardly anyone admits to meeting others with prejudice or not giving them a fair chance from the start. Nobody wants to give such an assessment of themselves. It would be too damaging to your positive self-image to admit to being biased. It's the simplest way to pigeonhole people. And sometimes you may need to touch your own nose before you just point at others. But insight is the first way to get better: Take the personality test here.
➠ About the personality test:Biased: definition, cons, test
Do you want to have new experiences?
Broaden your horizons, do things that challenge you and make you grow and try new things that you might never have thought you would experience ... For some people, this is exactly what makes new experiences so attractive. You want to try everything as possible so that you don't have to ask yourself afterwards: What would have happened if ... A little courage is part of life and new experiences can be a real enrichment. But are you really open to it or do you prefer to hide in your own comfort zone and make yourself comfortable where you are already?
➠ About the personality test:How open are you really?
How do you view the world?
First, you will see a simple picture with three simple shapes. But they have it all. The psycho test shows you how to absorb, process, understand and sort information. And what they focus on - on similarities or differences. Find out here how you look at the world - and where your perception may already be restricted.
➠ About the personality test:Test yourself: how do you view the world?
Are you strong or just an actor?
Show weakness towards others? This is often prevented at all costs. We want to appear strong, show that we can deal with any obstacle and that nothing can get us down. It doesn't matter if that's the truth or not. Those who are not strong make themselves vulnerable and so, if necessary, they rely on their acting talent to convince others of their own strength. There are definitely advantages to being able to simulate strength. In the short term, it can even be enough to just be able to credibly simulate self-confidence or mental strength. However, you shouldn't fool yourself into knowing if you are really strong.
➠ About the personality test:Self-test: Are you strong - or are you just pretending to be?
Are you pursuing the right goals?
The little priority test is basically nothing more than a mini self-reflection. It helps to pause briefly and to pick up the red thread that we so often lose sight of in everyday life. Granted, this isn't rocket science, but it looks easier in theory than in practice. So it doesn't hurt to ask yourself from time to time: Am I still pursuing MY goals and the RIGHT ones?
➠ About the personality test:Priority test: are you pursuing the right goals?
How adaptable are you really?
It is a quality that many companies are looking for, but which is also a great advantage in private life: flexibility. Nowadays in particular, changes must be expected that require intervention or a corresponding reaction. Those who are not able to do this are quickly faced with problems that can hardly be solved. No wonder that everyone likes to talk about their own flexibility and is committed to adaptability. Too much is not good either, it makes volatile and unreliable. A balancing act that is not easy to master.
➠ About the personality test:Adaptable: How flexible are you?
- Are black Americans racist towards white Americans
- What do Americans think of Canadians?
- How can the universe expand faster
- What is 1 Newton
- What are the best drop shipping sites
- Why should my dog eat a cat
- Free information is less reliable information
- What is an information technology system
- What do Americans think of Tasmania?
- Why do honeycomb cells have a hexagonal shape
- How can we drink salty water
- How is Japan so developed
- Which politicians in the country have the greatest integrity
- What is the importance of drop shipping
- What are the biggest myths about sexuality
- How similar is Pashto Kurdish
- How do I achieve enlightenment through yoga
- Is the Indian accent bad or weird
- Would you wear tube jeans under skirts
- How effective is the prayer
- Why do Gatling cannons spin
- What can I use instead of WordPress
- What makes a question silly
- Is Johnnie Walker Blue worth the price