How strong was the Byzantine Empire
The Byzantine Empire existed in the Middle Ages. It was the eastern half of the former Roman Empire. That is why it was also called Eastern Rome or the Eastern Roman Empire. The capital Byzantium was also called Constantinople, today it is the Turkish city of Istanbul.
In the Roman Empire there had been several emperors at the same time several times. They ruled individual parts of the huge empire. In 395 an emperor died for all of Rome: one son received the east, the other the west. Over time, the halves became more different. The western empire ended about 100 years later.
The Eastern Roman Empire was roughly where Greece, Bulgaria and Turkey are today. Sometimes the Byzantine emperors conquered a lot of land, including Italy and North Africa, and sometimes they lost it. In 1453 it was over: the Ottoman Empire conquered the last piece of East Rome, namely Constantinople.
While the West spoke Latin, in the East the main language was Greek. For a long time the inhabitants called themselves "Romans". There was often a dispute with the new empires in Western Europe about who was the right successor to the Roman emperors. The German King Otto the Second married a princess from Byzantium, Theophanu. He wanted to emphasize how important he was.
Soldier equipment from the Byzantine Empire, imitation
Zoe the purple-born was Empress of Byzantium around the year 1000
Mary with the baby Jesus, an icon from around 1400
A cathedral in St. Petersburg in Russia: The model was from Byzantium.
There are also more search results for “Byzantine Empire” from Blind Cow and Ask Finn.
- Which is poisonous but cannot kill people
- In which country are electronic goods cheaper
- What tricks should I teach my cats?
- Is Draymond Green better than Blake Griffin
- Why is logic important in everyday life
- Which is the best jewelry shopping app
- Why is the USD considered a risky currency?
- Can I promote Clickbank products with PPV?
- Are you a Democrat or a Republican
- Clickbank is banned in India
- Why is there so much poverty
- How do I wish someone a happy birthday
- Why are humans smarter than animals
- How do US high schools work
- What is Disney's Epcot Park about
- What makes the Vietnamese language unique
- What is obsessive love
- How is Tom Hanks personally
- What does Revelation 2 17
- How did contemporaries see ancient philosophers?
- What does locust mean in the Bible
- What is the future of quantitative finance
- What diet rules are worth breaking?
- What are the best IPTV providers